For New Patients
Renee Yanke, ARNP, MN,
AOCN, Oncology Advanced
Practice Nurse, leads the
Cancer Program at
Many things have changed since Whidbey General began treating cancer in 1979. Early diagnosis is more common, treatments are much improved and survival rates are higher. Yet a cancer diagnosis remains a life-changing event. At Whidbey General, we are committed to supporting you through this challenging time.
For your convenience, and to improve your experience at the Medical Ambulatory Care (MAC) clinic, you may wish to print and read or complete the following before your next visit:
- Welcome letter - includes contact numbers, clinic hours and important information about your appointments.
- Comprehensive patient history form - will help your doctors and nurses better understand your medical history.
- Consent for leaving messages - your agreement to allow the MAC clinic to leave detailed messages with specific medical information on voicemail or answering machine
- Medication list - the medications, including vitamins, supplements and herbs, that you are currently taking.
- Patient rights and responsibilities - as a patient at Whidbey General, you enjoy specific rights and also have certain responsibilities.
Every new patient should know about our Patient Navigator Program, which will guide you through the health care system. The patient navigator will help you coordinate your care, access financial support, and even get to appointments on time. To learn more, contact Jackie Bruns, RN, at 360-321-7656, ext. 2669, or 360-678-7656, ext. 2669.
Family members and friends are encouraged to accompany you on appointments. Loved ones may stay with you during procedures such as chemotherapy or blood transfusions.
The MAC clinic offers a comfortable, nurturing environment. Enjoy a respite outdoors in our peaceful garden under a covered area or take some time for meditation and reflection in our quiet room. Music therapists provide relaxing songs and sounds for your comfort and healing. Internet access is available for your convenience.
This is no doubt a challenging time for you, but you have placed your care in good hands. We will support you on every step of this journey with the excellence and compassion you deserve.
For directions to the MAC clinic at Whidbey General, please visit Find Us/Contact Us.
Loved ones often stay with patients during chemotherapy, either inside the
clinic or outdoors in our garden.